About 60% or two-thirds of our body weight is made up of water. All cells and organs need water to function.
What can water do to our body?
- flushes toxins out of vital organs, lessening the burden on the kidneys and liver
- carries nutrients and oxygen to our cells
- regulates the body temperature through perspiration
- helps prevent and relieve constipation by moving food through the intestines
- makes the fluid surrounding the joints, lubricating the joints
- provides a moist environment for mouth, eyes, ear and nose
We get some of the water through the foods we eat. Many fruits and vegetables such as watermelon and tomatoes are 90% water or more by weight.
We also get water through liquid foods and beverages, such as soup, milk, and juices. Alcoholic beverages and beverages containing caffeine (such as coffee, tea and colas) are not the best choices because they have a diuretic effect (they cause the body to release water).
But drinking water is still the main and best source of water because it is calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.
Every day we lose water through our breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. If we do not drink enough water each day, our body fluids will be out of balance, causing dehydration. Even mild dehydration can drain our energy leading to headaches, fatigue and lack of concentration. When dehydration is severe, it can be life-threatening.
You have always heard the advice “Drink 8 glasses of water a day”. Although there is no hard evidence to support the exact amount of water one should drink, experts usually recommend drinking at least six to eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day” because all fluids count toward the daily total of water intake.
Let’s drink up :>
#health #Healthcare #scientifictradition #scientifictrad #anndylian #protect #natural #immune #immunity #lingzhi #social #linkedin #feature #featured #healthy #awareness #linkedin #facebook #water #firstworldproblems
Chief Marketing Officer
Scientific Tradition Pte Ltd
- Image credit: http://www.desktopwallpapers4.me/abstract/water-splash-14618/
Recent articles that I have published:
- How can green tea benefit all of us?
- 3 Ways to improve your metabolism
- Understanding Chinese Medicine: What is it?
- What is the secret to a long and healthy life?
- Age of Abundance: Bring changes for the world
- How to get a good night sleep?
- What is Ganoderma tsugae var jannieae?
- Lingzhi for Better Health and Total Well-being
- Hair loss – What are your treatment options?
- How can we do our part in handling the Ebola crisis?
- What makes Cordyceps so special?
- Medicinal mushrooms build immunity to #Ebola
(Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, dietitian nor nutritionist and I do not claim to cure any cause, condition or disease. All information is intended only to help you cooperate with your doctor, in your efforts toward desirable weight levels and health. Only your doctor can determine what is right for you. You should always do what is right for your own personal life.)